I was exposed to online learning shortly after I was hired at Finger Lake Community College. I needed to earn a Master’s degree before the end of my five-year probationary period was up, in order to earn my permanent appointment. I was the poster child for online education. I was working 60+ hours per week at FLCC, between my duties as both a teaching faculty member and the College’s athletic trainer. I was married with two young children at home. The nearest college that offered a Master’s degree in a field I was interested in was about an hour away. My wife and I shared, and still do share, one car. Thank goodness for a former colleague who earned his doctorate degree online.
There are thousands of faculty and staff in SUNY that have little direct experience with online teaching. The Open SUNY Center for Online Teaching Excellence can help. We are very pleased to launch Interested in Teaching Online? This course is an openly-licensed self-paced online course that is free of charge and open now to anyone interested in learning more about online teaching and learning.
The Interested in Teaching Online course:
- Provides a set of online teaching readiness self-assessments.
- Promotes and builds a common understanding of online education and common language and definitions within the SUNY context.
- Addresses skepticism, assumptions, and misconceptions regarding online teaching and learning.
- Promotes an understanding of the benefits and affordances of the online teaching and learning environment.
- Presents an overview of the various online pedagogies and models of online course development for online teaching and learning that exist in SUNY.
- Provides the opportunity to view example online courses.
- Showcases online faculty and online student perspectives about online teaching and learning.
- Presents opportunities for self-assessment, optional interaction, and recognition for completing the course (via badge).
- Helps those who are interested determine if online teaching is a good fit for them.
- Provides a framework and entry point for online teaching professional development.