COTE Report – January 2016
This report provides an update on Open SUNY COTE activities through January 2016.
- Migration is an ongoing commitment and effort – 2012-2017 provided at no cost to SLN campuses migrating from ANGEL.
- Legacy materials – review, revision, adaptation of SLN legacy materials is an ongoing effort.
- Digital DNA Refresh will assist us in reviewing and refining priorities and designing more flexible ways for campuses to pay for COTE supports and services.
- Based on the recommendations of the Open SUNY Metrics work group, we are working on an impact survey to get a sense of success and information to inform continuous improvements.
- Working Badging Design Group – we continue to make progress in the design of a comprehensive Badging System that provides a framework for our Online Competency Development program to recognize participation, achievement, engagement, and online competency development.
- Using the Credly: https://credly.com/u/opensunycote
- We have published 20 badges in the professional development and community engagement categories.
- 1,400 badges have been issued – 8% have been shared in Facebook, 92% shared in LinkedIn.
Open SUNY COTE Pillars:
- Spring 2016 COTE Professional Development
- Fall 2015 Report
- We held an OSCQR webinar in October with 21 people.
- We held an OSCQR training at Stony Brook with 25 people.
- We trained N2OL at FIT and FLCC, totaling 12 people.
- 16 people are registered for the self-paced N2OL.
- 8 people registered for the OER online course.
- Priorities for Summer 2016 (possible new development)
- Fundamentals in Online Learning for those interested in online teaching and learning. – self paced
- Crash course in online teaching for adjuncts.
- Effective Online Teaching and Instructional Design with the Community of Inquiry model (Possible collaboration with TOEP and others on this.)
- Possible partnership with OLC to endorse and adopt OSCQR.
- Possible partnership with OLC on the ID certificate program.
- Piloting a CRM tool to assist us in tracking contacts and training/badging progress.
- COTE PD Associates (people certified to train on our behalf): http://commons.suny.edu/cotehub/meet-the-team/meet-the-cote-pd-associates/
- Currently conducting a needs assessment survey to project demand for selected offerings.
- 2nd Annual Open SUNY COTE Summit February 24-26, 2016 in NY, NY (at the SUNY Global Center). Speakers – Keynote – Program
- Open SUNY Online Teaching Ambasadors – http://commons.suny.edu/cotehub/engage/ambassadorprogram/ambassadors/
- Inaugural group – 44 nominees from 18 campuses to date.
- Tied to the research project on faculty attitudes. Intended to recognize enthusiastic and successful online faculty.
- Effective Practices Awards
- Partnership with UCF on effective practices (TOPR) conducted a collaborative call for proposals.
- Submissions are being accepted http://commons.suny.edu/cotehub/engage/epawards/
- Peer voting platform – https://www.facebook.com/groups/OSCOTEEffectivePractices/
- Awards will be made at the OS COTE Summit in February.
- Open SUNY Fellows
- 1,193 Open SUNY Fellows have joined COTE since last January: http://commons.suny.edu/cote/community-of-practice-across-suny/
- Fellow Chats for 2015-2016:
- We have 6 proposals since September
- Soliciting proposals for the 2015/16 season: http://commons.suny.edu/cotehub/engage/fellow-chats/
- Average attendance Sept-Jan = 21
- The next Fellow Chat will be presented on February 10 and 17 – 2part series.
- Volunteer Program: http://commons.suny.edu/cotehub/engage/volunteer/
- Mentoring Program – soliciting volunteers.
- The Open SUNY COTE Networking Community http://cotecommunity.open.suny.edu/
- 838 members.
- 37 discussion groups.
- And various discussions.
- The monthly Community call (formerly the SLN ID Community Call) has been transitioned to a new format – calls feature updates from pillars of COTE and pedagogically-focused research presentations and campus showcases.
- Average about 44 participants each month (calculation since September).
- A Community Call group was created to take the place of the listserv in the COTE Community. (http://cotecommunity.open.suny.edu/group/cote-community-call – please join!)
- The group currently has 67 members.
- Online Teaching Gazette – http://open.suny.edu/gazette
- 10 issues have been curated and published to date.
- Subscribers are increasing by about 16 each month.
- September 2015– 157 subscribers, 2071paper views.
- October 2015– 160 subscribers, 2107 paper views.
- November 2015– 183 subscribers, 2306 paper views.
- December 2015– 206 subscribers, 2662 paper views.
- January 2016– 209 subscribers, 2662 paper views.
NOTE: Paper views include opening the paper as well as clicking on topics by unique visitor within 24-hour period, also views are cumulative since paper was first launched.
- COTEhub (http://commons.suny.edu/cotehub/)
- Launched July 6, 2015.
- Google analytics so far: 763 site views, 46.2% new visitors, 53.8% returning visitors.
- OLC 2015 Effective Practice Award
- Working with 33 campuses.
- We have supported the installation of 26 OSCQR campus dashboards.
- 236 self-assessment rubrics have been generated.
- Next Priorities – Next phase of OSCQR
- Course Delivery Rubric – Possible collaboration with OLC on this.
- Possible Collaboration with OLC adoption of OSCQR.
- OSCQR video: https://youtu.be/E_xFVyLeWXA
- Institutional Achievement – Open SUNY
- Nofflet Williams Service Award – Alexandra M. Pickett
- Online Student Recognition Award – Open SUNY Online Student at UAlbany, Alicia Fernandez
- OLC Innovate
To view your individual campus campus report, or the aggregated results across the system login: http://www.sunyresearch.net/
For information on how to access or participate in Open SUNY COTE online faculty and student studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Research project: On faculty attitudes on online teaching.
Trackback from your site.