COTE Report – October 2016
Open SUNY COTE Report to the FACTT2 Council – 10.21.16
GENERAL Initiatives – http://bit.ly/allthingscote
- Open SUNY COTE Service Level Agreement (SLA) – http://bit.ly/1617SLA Open SUNY COTE SLA offers campuses more options and flexibility to take advantage of competency development offerings to support campus initiatives to systematically scale online faculty development.
- In this quarter we are reviewing and adding additional services, new workshops, and options to the SLA based on feedback from the community and our experiences with the initial offering.
- The next iteration of the SLA will be available beginning in November 2016 for the 2017-18 fiscal year.
- Badging System Design – We continue to expand our badging initiative. We have been working to include more Open SUNY or SUNY-wide programs into our ecosystem and constellations of badges, and have found additional opportunities to extend the use of badges into more areas. We are working on better tracking the credentials that have been issued.
- Credly Platform: https://credly.com/u/opensunycote
- We have published 31 badges in the membership, professional development, and community engagement categories.
- A total of 1,689 badges have been issued.
- 517 badges have been accepted/claimed in Credly.
- 32% of the time these badges were shared to social media.
- 27% of the time these badges were added to LinkedIn profiles.
- 66K + views of badges.
- Migration is an ongoing commitment and effort – 2012-2017 provided at no cost to SLN campuses migrating from ANGEL.
- Legacy materials – review, revision, adaptation of SLN legacy materials is an ongoing effort.
- Digital DNA Refresh – continuing to work on/with strategic planning, project plans, metrics, and performance program alignment.
The Open SUNY Center for Online Teaching Excellence was honored with the National University Technology Network (NUTN) 2016 Distance Education Innovation Award at the NUTN Annual Conference in Clearwater, Florida, on September 29, 2016 for the Open SUNY Course Quality Rubric and Process (OSCQR).
- OpenEd16 – https://openeducation2016.sched.org/event/7lpA/the-open-suny-cote-quality-review-oscqr-process-and-rubric-for-the-review-and-improvement-of-online-courses
- Keynote presentation and invitation to visit DUOC UC in Chile.
- OLC Accelerate – Invited workshop on OSCQR and presentation on OS COTE Badging initiative.
ELI 2017 Annual Meeting – Transforming the Academy: Building Communities of Practice
- “Using Digital Badges as a Framework for an Online Teaching and Learning Community of Practice.
- “Open SUNY Course Quality Review (OSCQR) Process & Rubric to Review and Improve Online Courses.
4 Open SUNY COTE Pillars:
- 2016 COTE Professional Development
- Fall 2016 Report – Catalog of Fall offerings.
- New faculty development
- OSCQR rubric
- Open education resources
- Universal design for learning and accessibility
- Blackboard tools and functionality
- Current Numbers: Enrollments in the courses have been uneven. There has been good demand for new faculty training and some OSCQR elements, but less demand for open education resources and accessibility.
- 11 participants active in ID Cert #4 – OSCQR
- 11 participants active in N2OL facilitated online.
- 28 participants active N2OL blended.
- 9 Blackboard Tests: Going Beyond Multiple Choice
- Fall 2016 (development activities in progress)
- Development of course on accessibility and universal design for learning.
- Development of course on advanced uses of interactive tools.
- Development of “crash course” for new to online teaching and inheriting an already developed course.
- Working on a partnership with OLC to adopt the ID certificate and other competency development programs.
- 3rd Annual Open SUNY COTE Summit will be held March 8-10, 2017 in Syracuse, NY.
- There will be a registration fee this year for everyone attending.
- We will be partnering with OLC on the third day of the conference to offer an Open SUNY/ OLC engagement opportunity.
- Open SUNY Fellows
1,786 Open SUNY Fellows have joined COTE a 1% increase since last August:
- 825 – Interested in online-enabled education
- 638 – Experienced online practitioner
- 49 – Expert instructional designer
- 49 – Exemplar, coach, and mentor
- 28 – Innovator and/or researcher
- 197 – Friends of SUNY
- The Open SUNY COTE Networking Community http://cotecommunity.open.suny.edu/
- 958 members a 4% increase since August.
- 43 discussion groups.
- And various discussions.
- The monthly COTE Community Call features updates from pillars of COTE and pedagogically-focused research presentations and campus showcases.
- Average about 36 participants each month (calculation since July).
- Community Call group in the COTE Community. (
http://cotecommunity.open.suny.edu/group/cote-community-call – please join!)
- The group currently has 74 members.
- Online Teaching Gazette – http://open.suny.edu/gazette
- 19 issues have been curated and published to date.
- Subscribers and Views
- September 2015– 157 subscribers, 2071 paper views.
- October 2015– 160 subscribers, 2107 paper views.
- November 2015– 183 subscribers, 2306 paper views.
- December 2015– 206 subscribers, 2662 paper views.
- January 2016– 209 subscribers, 2662 paper views.
- February 2016 – 226 subscribers, 2853 paper views.
- March 2016 – not recorded.
- April 2016 280 subscribers, 3332 paper views.
- May 2016 – 297 subscribers, 3553 paper views.
- June 2016 – 308 subscribers, 3737 paper views.
- July 2016 – 317 subscribers, 3945 paper views.
- August 2016 – 326 subscribers, 4077 paper views.
- September 2016 – 338 subscribers, 4228 paper views
- 115% increase in subscribers since inception. 4% increase since August.
- 104% increase in views since inception. 4% increase since August.
- NOTE: Paper views include opening the paper as well as clicking on topics by unique visitor within 24-hour period. Also views are cumulative since paper was first launched.
- COTEhub (http://commons.suny.edu/cotehub/)
- Launched July 6, 2015.
- 3 blog posts since August.
- 1 Guest post.
- Google analytics since August: 761 site views, 489 users, 58.5% new visitors, 41.5% returning visitors (site visits and users are not unique).
- COTETV – Open SUNY COTE YouTube Channel –
- 36 Subscribers to date with 4,493 views of the channel.
- 99 Videos on COTE TV (Open SUNY COTE’s YouTube channel).
- 16 cc playlists available on various topics.
- New Media Consortium (NMC) Open SUNY COTE membership
- 15 community members have been identified as Campus Leader Advisory Board members.
- 46 members.
- Kim Scalzo and Erin Maney participated on a panel on “openness” for the NMC Beyond the Horizon series on October 19, 2016.
- National Distance Learning Week (NDLW) – November 7-11, 2016
- 6 proposals submitted, 5 presentations accepted (1 to be scheduled as a Fellow Chat).
- Schedule of events.
- In Course Supports, we continue to work with over 40 SUNY campuses, plus dozens of additional schools around the country.
- Over 500 self-assessment rubric have been generated.
- We have launched a new version of the rubric. The new rubric has integrated the separate instructional design and accessibility standards into one rubric and has been made more extensible to accommodate additional standards dealing with other topics.
- We are working with FACTT2 task groups to develop standards relating to mobile learning, OER, and virtual and alternative labs.
- We have launched an improved dashboard with multiple behind the scenes improvements.
- New OSCQR video: https://youtu.be/WW00zanU0yA
To view your individual campus report, or the aggregated results across the system login: http://www.sunyresearch.net/
For information on how to access or participate in Open SUNY COTE online faculty and student studies,
- Working on how COTE can work with IITG projects like QbD and TOEP, as we did with Accessibility, to build out our catalog of online focused PD and contribute to the sustainability of those projects.
- Working on how COTE can assist in supporting MOOC IDs, and the SUNY MOOC activities.
- Current Research project: On faculty attitudes on online teaching.
- Access to campus reports and aggregated reports: http://www.sunyresearch.net/php/
Trackback from your site.