Prior Learning Assessment: A Competency-Based, E-Portfolio Framework
- Amy Tweedy, Empire State College
- Ashley Frank, Empire State College
- Joan Johnsen, Empire State College
- Lisa Wilson, SUNY Potsdam
- Louise Levine, Empire State College
- Michele Forte, Empire State College
- Robert Carey, Empire State College
- Ross Garmil, Empire State College
- Thomas Kerr, Empire State College
Empire State College
Based on initial pilots at Empire State College of the Global Learning Qualification Framework (GLQF) funded through the Lumina Foundation as an Open SUNY initiative, this proposal seeks to scale-up a proof-of- concept project across additional SUNY campuses. The GLQF will be extended through an e-portfolio environment (Pebble Pad) to support and scaffold students through a prior learning assessment (PLA) process, provide professional development to faculty on the advisement and support of PLA students, and provide trained evaluators a framework within which to assess college/university-level learning acquired outside the traditional academic environments. Results will be disseminated across SUNY to improve PLA practices to increase student access, support and degree completion across the SUNY system.
This IITG project worked to scale-up with five proof-of-concept sub-projects across SUNY Empire State College and SUNY Potsdam.