STORYMAP JS: OVERVIEW
1. Getting Started:
- Go to the StoryMap JS website. For this website, you need to have a Google account.
- Click on “Make a StoryMap Now” (at the top of the homepage).
- Sign into your Google account.
- To create a new project, click on “New.”
- StoryMap will give you the option to choose whether your StoryMap will be either “Map” or “gigapixel.” For now, choose “Map.”
STORYMAP JS: HOW TO GET STARTED (Video tutorial)
2. How to Add a Slide and Image
- To add a slide, go to the slide bar located at the left side of your project.
- Next, click on “Add Slide.”
- To rearrange the order of your slide, select a slide, click and hold the slide to then move it in any order you please.
- To add an image, go to the media section of the project located on the bottom-left of the page.
- You can insert an image by inserting an “Image URL” at the url bar under”media. However, your image must be a JPEG file– otherwise, the image will not be presented.
- Another way of inserting image to a slide is by clicking on “Upload an Image”. Again, this image must be a JPEG file. You are also able to insert a video from a video hosting (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo etc).
To use a JPEG image online:
- Right-click on the image and select “Copy Image URL.”
- Return to your project and select “Slide Options.”
- Paste your image url into “Background Image.” You may also set your uploaded images as a background image.
- To add color for the backgroun, go to “Background Color.”
STORYMAP JS: HOW TO ADD AN IMAGE (Video tutorial)
STORYMAP JS: HOW TO ADD A BACKGROUND IMAGE AND COLOR (Video tutorial)
3. How to Add Title, Caption, and Credit
- To add a title in each slide, you must go to “Headline.” If you want to type a sub-headline, then you can insert your text under “Headline” in the text-square above “Slide Options.”
- To add a caption for images, go to “Caption.”
- If you want to add credit for inserting any image/video, go to the “Credit” section.
- Go to VoiceThread and click on the “Register” button on the top right corner of the website.
- Fill out the new account form which includes your name, email, and password.
- VoiceThread will then send you an activation email with a link to follow.
- Sign into your email and follow the link which will then activate your account.
- Sign into VoiceThread with your email and password.
- If you already have an account with VoiceThread, click on the “Sign In” button in the right upper corner and enter your email and password.
HOW TO REGISTER (Video tutorial)
2. Starting Your Project:
- To get started on your project, click on the “Create” button in the upper left corner.
- Click on the “Add Media” button in the middle of the page.
- You can then select to add media from either your computer, media sources (which includes My Voice Threads, Khan Academy, Flickr, and New York Public Library), webcam photos, webcam video or a URL.
- For the purposes of this tutorial video, I will be uploading photos from my computer.
- Once you add your first Media Source, you will be taken to “Thread Settings” where you can title your project and add either a description or tags.
- Under “Thread Settings” there is a “Playback Options” tab.
- Here you can set the duration time for the slides if you do not want to manually shift through slides when giving a presentation.
- Check the tab that says “Automatically advance to the next slide after ___ seconds.”
- Enter the amount of seconds you want them to last.
- Under “Thread Settings” there is also a “Cover Art” tab. Click here to add a cover image for your project.
- Once you have finished adjusting your thread settings, you can hit “Save.”
- You will be taken back to the “Create” page of your project where you can add more media.
HOW TO START YOUR PROJECT (Video Tutorial)
3. How to Add Media:
- To upload an image or a video that is already on your computer, click on the “Create” button on the upper left corner of the page.
- Click on the “Add Media” button.
- Click on “My Computer.” Locate the image or video you want to use, and select it to be uploaded.
- When trying to use a youtube URL does not work.
- If you want to use a YouTube video, use this website to download the video you want to upload onto the site: http://en.savefrom.net/1-how-to-download-youtube-video/ . (Using a YouTube URL will not work.)
- You are only able to upload a file that 25MB with a free account.
- Once your media is uploaded, you can rearrange the order of slides by dragging the slides over.
- To delete a slide, hover over the slide you want to delete, and two icons will appear. Clicking on the pencil icon will allow you to edit your slide, and clicking on the trashcan will delete the slide.
HOW TO ADD MEDIA (Video tutorial)
4. Uploading Media:
- There are four options for media sources. You can add media from other VoiceThreads you have created, Khan Academy, Flickr, and New York Public Library.
- You can click on any of the four media sources and use the search bar.
- You can preview the media and then click “Import.”
UPLOAD THROUGH MEDIA SOURCES (Video tutorial)
5. How to Add a Comment:
- On the top of the page, select the second option “Comment.”
- You will then be taken to your presentation. Once you are on the slide you want to comment on, click on the “Comment” button towards the bottom of the screen. Five different options will pop up.
- You can add text by choosing “ABC.” A window will pop up where you can type in a comment.
- You can make a comment using your phone. By adding a phone number of a person you want to call, VoiceThread will call the number and record the phone conversation.
- You can record an audio comment. You can also draw on the slide while you are recording, if you are trying to bring attention to something specific in a photograph. You can the press the “Stop Recording” button on the bottom of the page to stop.
- You can record a video comment if you have a webcam on your computer.
- You can also upload a comment through your computer. If you have audio recorded on your phone, you can email it to yourself and then upload it. (You cannot edit the audio file in VoiceThread.)
HOW TO ADD A COMMENT (Video tutorial)