Table of Contents:
- Getting Started
- Starting a Slideshow
- How to Edit Your Slide
- How to Share Proper Link
- How to Share
- How to Embed and Share Utellstory on WordPress
1. Getting Started:
- To create an account, click “SIGN UP” at the top right corner of the page.
- Check off the “FREE FOREVER’”choice.
- Sign up with or without Facebook. If you do not have a Facebook account, you must provide basic personal information and email address.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your email account to activate your UtellStory account.
- If you already have an account, simply sign in.
UTELLSTORY: HOW TO LOGIN/SIGN UP (Video tutorial)
2. Starting a Slideshow:
- Click “Tell a Story.”
- Click “Add Slide.”
UTELLSTORY: HOW TO CREATE A SLIDESHOW (Video tutorial)
3. How to Edit Your Slide:
Add an Image Slide
- You can add a photo to a slide from your computer, web or Flickr account.
- From your computer: You can select multiple images to upload. (JPG and PNG files only. Maximum file size is 10MB.)
- From the web: Copy the URL from your image. To find your image’s URL, you can right-mouse-click on the image, choose “Properties,” and copy the image address.
- From Flickr account: Type in the search engine the image you would like to add to the side.
Add a Video
- You can add a video from Youtube or Vimeo by copying the video’s URL link.
- Paste the link in the search engine and click “Add Slide.”
Add a Caption
- After you add a picture or video, you can add a caption to that slide.
- Click on “Edit Slide” at the top left corner of the page.
- Type your text to the slide. (Max. 1500 characters)
Add Music to the Full Slideshow
- To add music to the full slideshow, go to the far right and click “BACKGROUND AUDIO.”
- You can upload audio or record audio. (System supports MP3 files. Max. upload file size is 6MB.)
- If the song is not the same length of your story, you have the option to loop the audio by checking off the box.
- Choose the file and click “UPLOAD.”
Add Audio to Individual Slides
- To add audio to an individual slide, click on “Slide Audio” at the top left corner of the page.
- You have the option to record your audio or upload already recorded audio.
- To record audio, click “RECORD.” Click “STOP” to stop recording. (You can record up to 60 seconds of audio. Existing audio will be replaced.)
- Click “PLAY” to listen back to what you recorded.
- If you are finished: click “INSERT.”
UTELLSTORY: HOW TO EDIT YOUR SLIDE (Video tutorial)
4. How to Share Proper Link
5. How to Share
UTELLSTORY: HOW TO EMBED AND SHARE UTELLSTORY ON WORDPRESS (Video tutorial)
Examples from utellstory.com:
- http://www.utellstory.com/viewstory/view/c4d460819996c966c14d04c49fe81f 74#player
- Audio Joiner: http://www.collaborativemediacenter.org/category/tutorials-by-tool/audio-joiner/
- Soundcloud: http://www.collaborativemediacenter.org/category/soundcloud/
- Blogger: http://www.collaborativemediacenter.org/category/tutorials-by-tool/blogger/
Free Music resources
STORYMAP JS: OVERVIEW
1. Getting Started:
- Go to the StoryMap JS website. For this website, you need to have a Google account.
- Click on “Make a StoryMap Now” (at the top of the homepage).
- Sign into your Google account.
- To create a new project, click on “New.”
- StoryMap will give you the option to choose whether your StoryMap will be either “Map” or “gigapixel.” For now, choose “Map.”
STORYMAP JS: HOW TO GET STARTED (Video tutorial)
2. How to Add a Slide and Image
- To add a slide, go to the slide bar located at the left side of your project.
- Next, click on “Add Slide.”
- To rearrange the order of your slide, select a slide, click and hold the slide to then move it in any order you please.
- To add an image, go to the media section of the project located on the bottom-left of the page.
- You can insert an image by inserting an “Image URL” at the url bar under”media. However, your image must be a JPEG file– otherwise, the image will not be presented.
- Another way of inserting image to a slide is by clicking on “Upload an Image”. Again, this image must be a JPEG file. You are also able to insert a video from a video hosting (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo etc).
To use a JPEG image online:
- Right-click on the image and select “Copy Image URL.”
- Return to your project and select “Slide Options.”
- Paste your image url into “Background Image.” You may also set your uploaded images as a background image.
- To add color for the backgroun, go to “Background Color.”
STORYMAP JS: HOW TO ADD AN IMAGE (Video tutorial)
STORYMAP JS: HOW TO ADD A BACKGROUND IMAGE AND COLOR (Video tutorial)
3. How to Add Title, Caption, and Credit
- To add a title in each slide, you must go to “Headline.” If you want to type a sub-headline, then you can insert your text under “Headline” in the text-square above “Slide Options.”
- To add a caption for images, go to “Caption.”
- If you want to add credit for inserting any image/video, go to the “Credit” section.