How to Communicate in Blackboard
Blackboard allows users to communicate in an online course. Communicating in Blackboard is essential to understand content; to collaborate; and to resolve any issues with assignments, tests, and grading. If you need to communicate with a professor or classmate in your online classes in Blackboard, the site has tools that allow you to do so.
Students and professors can communicate with either Course Email or Course Messages.
Blackboard messages are private communications between users in online classes. Course messages in Blackboard do not go to the faculty or student’s school-issued email address. Blackboard messages stay in the course and any backups of the course.
Sending a Course Message in Blackboard
When sending a message in Blackboard, follow these steps:
2. Select Create Message to compose a message to a student, multiple students, the professor, and/or a TA.
3. To see all the uses in the class, click TO. A box will expand with the names of the users. All teaching instructors are listed with parentheses.
Bcc: means you can send a blind carbon copy, which does not allow a recipient to see other recipients
4. Fill in the subject and body of the message. You can use the attachment option to add files, documents, and images to the message.
5. Click Submit to send the message.
Messages you send with be stored in the Sent folder.
Reading Course Messages
To read course messages, you have to open the Course Messages every time you log in. A copy will not be sent to your campus email.
To access messages:
- Click on Course Messages
- Click on the Inbox folder
- Open the message
If you want to store the message for future reference, you can create folders in Course Messages.
To communicate in Blackboard, you can also use the Blackboard Email tool.
Email sends the message directly to the student’s or instructor’s email address as it is listed in the user’s Personal Information in Blackboard Learn. These communications are not saved in the course, but by default a copy is sent to the sender’s campus email address.
Sending a Blackboard Email
To send an email in Blackboard to users, groups, and instructors, follow these steps:
- Click on Tools in the left-hand side menu
- Click on the icon for Send Email
- Select to whom the email should be delivered. You have a few options: all users, all instructors, all groups, all students, single student, single group, and teaching assistants.
Students: If you cannot see the Email option in your Tools, it may not be available to you.
Faculty: Using both tools can be confusing. If you decide not to use one of the tools or to make it unavailable to your students, remove any links on the Course Menu and/or adjust the settings in Control Panel > Customization > Tool Availability. Be sure to make it clear which tool you expect students to use in your course.
If you need further assistance or have additional questions please contact:
Open SUNY Support Services HelpDesk
1-800-875-6269 | email@example.com