Percentage-Based Grade Center Setup in Blackboard
Percentage Based: Groups of Grade Center columns are placed in Categories. The Categories are assigned a percentage to contribute to the overall/final grade in an online class.
This uses a Weighted Total Column. When setting up a Percentage-based Grade Center, there is a 3-step process: Setting up the Categories, assigning the columns to the Categories, and assigning the percentages to each Category.
Set Up: Course Menu > Course Management > Grade Center > Full Grade Center.
1. Categories will need to be created. These are most often the Categories outlined in the course syllabus. To create Categories:
- Select Create Category (the list that appears are defaults. They can be used but cannot be deleted from this section)
- Fill in the name of the Category under Title (a description can be added but is not necessary)
Next, once the Categories are created, the columns in the Grade Center need to be assigned to a Category. There are two ways to make this change:
2. The columns can be changed in a bulk action:
- Click on Manage > Column Organization
- Select one or multiple columns
- At the top or the bottom of the page, click on Change Category To… then select the Category. This will change the Category label for the selected columns.
2a. The Category can be changed from the individual column:
- In the Full Grade Center view, click on the down-arrow next to the column header > Edit Column Information
- Scroll down to Category and choose the desired Category from the menu
- Submit the changes
3. After the Categories are created and each column has a Category set, then the Categories can be added to the Weighted Total column and assigned a percentage towards the overall weight:
- Click on the down-arrow next to the column header for Weighted Total
- Scroll down to Columns and Categories to Select
- Using the second box, Categories to Select, click on the name of the Category and use the arrow directly to the right to add it to the Selected Columns box
- Next, assign the percentage to each Category. As percentages are assigned the Total Weight at the bottom should equal up to 100%
- Once all the Categories are added and assigned a percentage of the overall grade, then the changes can be Submitted.
- Note: When adding Categories, there are options for each one to drop grades. Enter the number of how many grades to drop from that Category. When this is left blank then it will not drop any grades.
If you need further assistance or have additional questions please contact:
Open SUNY Support Services HelpDesk
1-800-875-6269 | email@example.com