Test Settings in Blackboard
Test settings will appear when a test is deployed from the Test tools area and added to Content. The Test settings can also be accessed by clicking on the down-arrow at the end of the title of the test in Content and choosing, Edit the Test Options.
On the Test Options page, different options for how the test will display, how long the test will be available and how to review will be determined here. Below is more information on each section and the settings that are available:
Test Information: When a test is deployed, the Name will be filled in with the name given when created, this can be changed (and the color can also be changed). If a Test Description and Test Instructions were added when the test was created they will appear in this section, and each will give the option to display these to students on the Test Information page before they begin their attempt. Lastly, is the option to Open the Test in New Window, the default is set to No, changing this to Yes will have the test open in a new Blackboard window. If students have not adjusted their pop-ups then this may not open correctly.
- Make the link available: Changing to Yes will make the test available for students to take. If there are Display After and Display Until, the option to Make link Available should be checked to Yes. The test will not display until these dates come around. If dates are used and this option is on No, then this will override the dates being used.
- Add a new announcement for this test: When the test is available, it will create an automated message in the My Announcements area letting students know that a test is posted with the name and location.
- Attempts: Leaving Multiple Attempts unchecked will give the user one attempt for the test. Checking this box, will then give the option to Allow Unlimited Attempts or a Number of Attempts can be added.
- Score Attempts Using: This will appear if multiple attempts are checked. Allowing for multiple attempts will enable for how the attempts will be graded. The options include taking the Highest Grade, Lowest Grade, Average of attempts, First Graded or Last Graded attempt. These grades will appear in the Full Grade Center under the column for the test.
- Force Completion: The functionality of Force Completion is design to ensure that when a user starts a test attempt, then the attempt must be completed in one sitting and will auto-submit if the attempt is closed, the browser closes or the student tries to navigate away. *Open SUNY recommends that this setting not be used for tests given to students outside of a classroom setting. When a user experiences a blip in their internet connection, it may not show on their connection information but it will trigger the Force Completion settings and submit the user’s test in the middle of their attempt. The attempt cannot be resumed and must be cleared to give them another attempt. Using a timer and auto-submit options will give the student one attempt in one sitting.
- Set Timer: Checking the box will give the option to fill in the amount of time(in minutes) a user will have on their attempt. The timer will start and continue to run once the user clicks Begin and cannot be stopped. Auto-Submit Off will let the user know when the time expires and will let them continue with their submission and will be marked as late. Auto-Submit On will submit the attempt when the time has run out.
- Display Dates: To use the Display After and/or Display Until, check and use the calendar and time icons to change
- Password: Enter a password that users will need to enter to access the test. This will need to be provided to them separately.
Test Availability Exceptions: Used to change settings for access, time allowed and attempts for a user, multiple users or a group. *Note: If availability dates go past the due date(if used) and the option for “do not allow students to start the Test if the due date has passed” is checked then this will prevent the student under the exceptions from taking the test.
Due Date: Setting a due date will indicate to students when the test will be due. If the due date is passed and the test is still available, then submissions will be marked as late and will appear in the Needs Grading area. Checking the option for “do not allow students to start the Test if the due date has passed” will close test access to those who try to start the test.
Self-Assessment Options: Options for Grade Center calculations and if submissions will be visible to the instructor.
- Include this Test in Grade Center score calculations: Having this option checked will include a column in the Full Grade Center where the scores will automatically populate. The column will use the same settings that are set up under the Test Options, including Due Dates and/or which scores to show if using Multiple Attempts.
- Hide results for this test completely from the instructor and the Grade Center: Students will take the test and submit their attempt but the results and submission will not be visible to the instructor at any time. This option can be used for students on pre-tests or review tests, where they can view their results but it will not add a score to the Grade Center and the instructor will not see their work. (*Note: If this option is checked and then later it is changed back to “Include this Test in Grade Center score calculations” then all attempts will be deleted to protect the student’s privacy)
Show Test Results and Feedback to Students: Review for a test can be set up with one or two layers of how the results will appear to students. Instructors can choose what displays during the first period of review and can change review for the next period. Example: After Submissions, students can see the Score per Question and then After the Due Date then they can see all Answers, Feedback and Incorrect Questions.
- When: This controls when the review will appear to students. The options include: After Submission (after the student submits their attempt), One-time View (students can only review after submitting attempt), On Specific Date (instructor chooses date/time to start review), After Due Date (uses Due Date in settings), After Availability End Date (uses Display Until Date), or After Attempts are Graded (once all submissions have a grade, review will open. *Note- if students do not attempt the test, a grade will need to be given to open reivew for the rest of the students)
- Score per Question: Checking score per question will show the question text and the score the student received on each question. If questions still need to be scored by the instructor (ex. Essay questions) then it will show “Needs Grading” in the score column.
- Answers: How the answers will display. All Answers will display all answer choices that users could choose from. Correct will display the correct answer with a green check. Submitted will show the answer that the student chose.
- Feedback: If feedback (Correct and/or Incorrect) was added during the creation of the question, then it will display to users in review.
- Show Incorrect Questions: This will display an icon next to the question text marking the question correct (green check) or incorrect (red x)
Test Presentation: This controls how the questions will display to students while taking the test.
- All at Once: All questions will display to the student once the test is opened. Students can answer questions in any order during their attempt.
- One at a Time: One question will appear on the page at a time. The student will navigate from question to question by clicking the arrows on the top/bottom right-hand side of the page. When an answer is chosen, the action of navigating to another question will save their answer.
- Prohibit Backtracking: Students cannot navigate back to a question that was answered or viewed. Once they click to the next question, the answer (or no answer) is saved.
- Randomize Questions: Displays a different order or questions for each student that takes the test. This is used to prevent against cheating.
If you need further assistance or have additional questions please contact:
Open SUNY Support Services HelpDesk